The Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Entwicklungshilfe is the personnel service of the German Catholics for development cooperation. In the Civil Peace Service (ZFD) we offer specialists the opportunity for a meaningful service in cooperation with local development actors. The ZFD is the programm for violence prevention and peace-building in crisis and conflict regions. He is committed to a world in which conflicts are settled without violence. ZFD experts support local partner organizations in all phases of conflicts: in conflict prevention, violence reduction, and post-conflict rehabilitation. Together with church and civil society partners in Liberia, the AGEH wants to make a contribution to civil conflict management through the peace-promoting measures of the ZFD.
To advise the staff of the Justice and Peace Commission (JPC) and to support volunteers in their peace work, we are looking for a specialist for
Psychosocial counselling and organisational development,Liberia # 3351
Your new field of activity
The Justice and Peace Commission (JPC) of the diocese of Gbarnga was founded in 1991 with the aim of combating injustice and human rights violations. The main areas of activity are the creation of social justice, the fight against violence in everyday life, the prevention and resolution of conflicts and the promotion of the rule of law. The situation in rural Liberia is characterized by conflicts in families and family relationships (e.g. domestic violence, child neglect), disrupted social relations due to traumatization, neglect, poverty etc. and land conflicts.
JPC Gbarnga has over 20 full-time employees spread over the districts of Bong, Lofa and Nimba. In addition, volunteers support the work in so-called Parish Based Committees (PBC), which are regularly visited and accompanied by the full-time employees.
You perform the following tasks:
- You perform an advisory and back-stop function for the teams of full-time Justice and Peace Commission staff visiting and accompanying the Parish Based Committees. The aim is to support and improve the quality of the work of both the main officers and the Parish Based Committees and to strengthen their ability to solve problems and conflicts on their own responsibility.
- You support the Justice and Peace Commission in developing and maintaining knowledge management: training on the use of information technology, access to legal information, database on projects and activities.
- You promote the ability of Justice and Peace Commission staff to produce and use written documents: Reports, applications, press releases, minutes, summaries, contributions in social media, etc.
- You qualify the volunteers of the Parish Based Committees in the management of local projects and support the networking of the voluntary mediators and conflict advisors among themselves.
- You are responsible for the proper spending and management of funds on the ground in accordance with donor guidelines and AGEH requirements. They work in partnership with the partner organization.
- You have a degree in social work, social sciences, adult education or similar.
- In addition, you have further competencies in the areas of conflict management, community work, psychosocial consulting, organizational development, project management and M&E.
- You are familiar with participative and experience-based methods of adult education and like to guide people in developing and shaping their social reality.
- You are ready to travel under simple conditions.
- You are a curious, willing to learn, interculturally interested person; through your openness and enthusiasm you accept that work and leisure time are not always clearly separated.
- You speak and write English very well, you are an EU citizen or Swiss citizen and you belong to a Christian church.
- Their place of work Gbarnga is the gateway to rural Liberia - a good starting point for trips inland. There are few more urban amenities like shopping, but without the high traffic and anonymity of the capital Monrovia. The security situation in Gbarnga is also comparatively good.
The AGEH offer:
- individual and comprehensive preparation
- Three-year contract, social security and remuneration in accordance with the Development Aid Workers Act
- further training in regional studies, languages or other technical subjects as well as coaching and supervision services, individual advice
- Working with the AGEH active model
We look forward to receiving your application.
Please use the online application form on our job portal