The Association for Development Cooperation (AGEH) is the human resources service of German Catholics for Development Cooperation. In the Civil Peace Service (CPS) we offer development workers a meaningful role working with local development agents. The CPS is a staffing programme for peace-building and the prevention of violence in crisis and conflict regions. It sets out to promote a world in which conflicts are settled without violence. Working with church-related and civil-social partners in Colombia, AGEH aims to make a contribution to civil conflict transformation there and to the sustainable and just development of the country through peace-building measures.
To help our partner organisation Centro de Estudios para la Justicia Social - Tierra Digna develop innovative instruments and a database on land and environmental conflicts, we are seeking a
Social scientist or engineer with knowledge of the collection and digital processing of information on land and environmental conflicts (m/f/d), Bogotá, Colombia
Your new role
Even after the 2016 peace treaty between the government and the FARC guerrillas, the continuing unjust distribution of land and associated access to natural resources continues to impair sustainable peace and social stability in Colombia.
Our partner organization Centro de Estudios para la Justicia Social - Tierra Digna is a young non-governmental organization based in Bogotá, which has already gained recognition in Colombia. It works on creative solutions to help shape land reform processes in the interests of disadvantaged communities and to end ongoing conflicts over ownership and land rights. Through practical research on land and environmental conflicts, direct work with affected communities, and strategic advocacy work at the national and international levels, Tierra Digna helps local people protect their land rights and cultural identity, as well as preserve their traditional ways of life.
Together with the partner organisation, you will develop new research concepts and make the research results publicly available to strengthen the negotiating position of the local population vis-à-vis large landowners, agrochemical companies and the raw materials sector.
Specifically, you will carry out the following tasks:
- You will support the Tierra Digna team in developing a strategy for further research, analysis and systematisation of land and environmental conflicts and their impact on the local population in various regions of Colombia.
- Together with the Tierra Digna team and the affected communities, you will build a comprehensive database of land and resource conflicts.
- You will develop an innovative and user-friendly concept for the interpretation and visualization of data and research results, and support technical implementation on various digital platforms.
- As part of the team, you will develop a training concept for the application of the newly developed concepts and train colleagues and representatives from the municipalities concerned in the use of technical and digital instruments.
- You will support Tierra Digna in accompanying the grass roots groups involved in research projects carried out in their regions.
- You will ensure the proper disbursement and administration of funds on site in accordance with the donor guidelines and AGEH specifications. You will work in partnership with Tierra Digna in this endeavour.
- You must have a level of education, which corresponds to completed university studies attested by a diploma in social sciences, engineering or a diploma in a comparable field and have obtained additional training or proven specialist knowledge in information, communication and/or geo-referencing systems.
- You have at least three years of professional experience in civil society organisations working close to the ground in land and resource conflicts, preferably in Latin America.
- You have solid theoretical knowledge and diverse practical experience in the design, development and application of innovative technical tools for the collection, systematisation, interpretation and presentation of data and research results.
- You have practical experience in adult education and are accustomed to creating educational and training concepts and implementing them in a methodically appealing way.
- You are mentally and physically resilient as well as willing to travel regularly and outside normal working hours to remote rural regions of Colombia.
- You have a very good knowledge of Spanish and good knowledge of English and are characterised by a high degree of intercultural sensitivity for cooperation with indigenous, Afro-American and farming communities in rural areas.
- You are an EU or Swiss citizen and identify with the goals and concerns of church development and peace work.
What AGEH offers
- Individual and comprehensive preparation
- Three-year contract, social security and remuneration in accordance with the German Development Aid Workers Act (Entwicklungshelfergesetz)
- Cultural, language or other professional training, as well as coaching, supervision and individual consulting
- Work within the AGEH efficacy model
We look forward to receiving your application by October 20, 2019.
Please use our online application form on our job portal.